It may seem counterintuitive, but pregnancy is a time when you REALLY need some friendly, fashion inspiration. Rather than relying on Gap Maternity and Pea in the Pod, I found a really fun book by style and fashion trend journalist Amy Tara Koch called “Bump It Up.” As a mom/reporter, Amy delivers the expert advice from of all the fashion designers and gurus that she has professional access to for tailored information for that very specific audience that gets to see their bodies transform on an almost weekly basis over a nine-month time period.
The book is divided into four main chapters: First Trimester: Bloated on the Bias, Second Trimester: Channel Your Inner Fashion Editor, Third Trimester: Large and in Charge, Fourth Trimester: Lighten Up!
I especially appreciate the tone of this book – best described as a fashionista girlfriend imparting her opinions on your wardrobe choice. You can choose to roll your eyes in sections, or follow it like a bible but you never question that this girl knows how to be the best dressed in the room.
Within the chapters are industry-specific clothing style definitions, hot tips and advice from A-Listers. I think the advice from fashion-forward A-listers is one of my favorite parts of the books. Everyone from recognizable names, such as designer Nicole Miller to the accessories editor at Glamour magazine, share their first-hand advice on how to dress, exercise or apply make-up in ways to maximize your glam factor while pregnant.
Pregnant with my third child, I have the blessing and curse of pictures of me in some of my choice pregnancy clothing pieces so this time around I had some idea of what works and doesn’t work for my body type.
Some of the advice I followed with good results – adding gold accessories with an edge. I headed to H&M to get some trendy, statement pieces that were a bit larger than my standard diamond studs. I added lots of colorful scarves as layering pieces to extend my basics, and heels to lengthen my silhouette. I wish I could be one of those girls that can comfortably wear stilettos, but I’m not. Amy gives some great shoe style suggestions (including drawings), such as wedge heels and cowboy boots that have great style beyond running shoes, yet deliver comfort.
I must admit that footwear has been the most challenging part of my maternity wardrobe. Some days I resort to dressing in gym clothes just so I can wear my running shoes. But after reading Amy’s book, I go for trendy leggings-style gym outfits that actually look like a workout is my destination rather than baggy sweats. No one but me needs to know that my favorite chocolate croissant bakery, not prenatal yoga, is my true destination.
GIVEAWAY: ONE (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive a free copy of Bump It Up. This giveaway is open to US residents only (18+). Ends February 15, 2012.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, tell us what us your favorite pregnancy style tip. Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Follow Amy Tara Koch on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Follow us on GFC (sidebar)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non-giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – 1 winner will receive Bump It Up by Amy Tara Koch via @thatsitmommy http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=21166 #giveaway #books) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on Feb. 15, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy received a copy of Bump It Up from Ballantine Books free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service.The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ.