As a military family, we do a lot of traveling. In the last 7 years, we have visited family all over the country, moved four times, and are coming up on our fifth move. With this move coming up quickly, I have been trying to get us prepared. One of the things I decided that we needed was a good quality, sturdy umbrella stroller. The one we have always used for travel was a free gift with purchase and has worked fine for 5 years, but is lacking in many areas. It doesn’t have a sun shade, doesn’t recline, and has no storage. It is definitely time for an upgrade!
We were fortunate enough to be able to try out the brand new 2012 Maclaren Globetrotter stroller. The name is perfectly suited because the move we are making this summer will involve traveling halfway around the globe. Our family is moving to Okinawa, Japan! Getting to Japan is going to involve driving from Virginia to Alabama to California, visiting family and sightseeing along the way, and flying from L.A. to Seattle to Tokyo to Okinawa. Needless to say, we need a good stroller to help us out along the way.
The boys were so excited when they saw the big box on the front door step and couldn’t wait to open it up. We got the stroller out and had it unfolded in a few seconds. I got the sunshade secured in, and we were apparently ready to go for a walk, because Nate wouldn’t get out of the seat until we did.
I have to say, this is the nicest stroller I have ever used! The ride is smooth, the seat belt is easy to buckle and feels very secure, and the water resistant sunshade is oversized and easily covers my little blondie’s head. Two of my favorite features are the high handles and the location of the back wheels. The handles are at a comfortable height for both myself at 5’4” and Adam at 5’11”. The back of the stroller tilts inward at the bottom so that the rear wheels are slightly more forward than the handles. This allows you to walk easily behind the stroller without kicking the wheels (like I’ve done with our old umbrella strollers).
The Globetrotter is fitted with incredibly easy foot-operated linked brakes. One step on the brake lock and both rear wheels are secured. It features a removable washable seat, rain cover, and under-seat storage basket that can accommodate up to 4 pounds. The seat can recline into multiple positions with just a simple pull on a tether. It is very easy to fold and unfold, and can easily be done with one hand while holding a baby. Once folded up, there is a carrying strap on the back for portability. The stroller itself weighs in at just under 11 pounds, so it is easy to tote around using the shoulder strap or toss in the trunk. It also comes with a wrist strap that slips onto one of the handles. The intent of this strap is to ensure that the stroller won’t get away from you, but I’ve found another great use for it. While crossing busy streets, I have Jack hold onto the wrist strap. It keeps him close to the stroller and safe, without being too close and tripping us up.
Nate, who is 2 ½ years old and will be the primary user of this stroller, is my little peanut. He weighs just under 28 pounds. The Globetrotter is appropriate for ages 6 months up to a weight of 55 pounds. It should be able to accommodate Nate for quite some time. In fact, Jack is only 38 pounds, so if he needs a break from walking, he can safely use the stroller too.
All in all, this is a fabulous stroller and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a lightweight travel stroller or an easy on-the-go stroller for the back of the car.
The Globetrotter includes Maclaren’s Sovereign Lifetime Warranty, comes in several colors, and retails for $160.
You can learn more about the stroller at http://www.shopmaclarenbaby.com/new-globetrotter/.
- D.C. IT Mom, Kelly
GIVEAWAY: One (1) That’s IT Mommy reader will receive a Maclaren Globetrotter stroller! This giveaway is open to US & Canadian residents only (18+). Ends 6/3/12.
REQUIRED MAIN ENTRY: To enter, visit http://maclarenbaby.com/ and tell us which Maclaren product you can’t live without! Leave your comment in the reply box below this post. That’s IT!
Remember if this REQUIRED ENTRY is not followed then no other entries will count.
Optional Bonus Entries – All entries MUST BE in a separate comment. All are worth 1 point unless otherwise noted.
- Like Maclaren on Facebook
- Follow Maclaren on Twitter
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter (or tell us that you already do)
- “Like” us on Facebook (let us know who you are)
- Follow us on Twitter (leave us your twitter ID)
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Follow us on Networked Blogs
- Grab our button on the right sidebar and post on your website (leave the link) (3 extra – 3 comments #1, #2, #3)
- Enter another one of our current giveaways (3 extra – 3 separate comments #1, #2, #3) Feel free to enter any of our giveaways that interest you, but you will receive a maximum of three extra entries only, no matter how many of our other giveaways you enter
- Leave a comment on any non giveaway post and let us know you did (2 extra – 2 separate comments #1, #2)
- Tweet about this giveaway (Copy – #Win a beautiful Maclaren Globetroller stroller via @thatsitmommy & @MaclarenNA http://thatsitmommy.com/?p=24719 #giveaway) come back daily and leave us the link to the tweet (1 extra/day)
*This giveaway will run through midnight on June 10, 2012 (PST). Winner will be chosen using Random.org from all valid entries and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact us before another winner is chosen. Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian (18+) residents only.
* We did not receive monetary compensation for this review. That’s IT Mommy are Maclaren Ambassadors and received the stroller from Maclaren free of charge to facilitate this review. Giveaway item will be provided by sponsor. Sponsor has the right to refuse filling prize for duplicate winners from other blogs. This will in no way sway our opinion of the product or service. The review is in our own words and is our opinion. Your results and opinions may differ